A new version of the Raspberry PI 3 has released and I have to say I’m quite impressed with the new specs. This little unit is 10x the performance of the Raspberry Pi 1.
Below are the complete specs
Raspberry Pi 3 Specs:
- SoC: Broadcom BCM2837
- CPU: 64-bit 1.2GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
- GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV
- RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)
- Networking: 10/100 Ethernet, 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1 Classic, Bluetooth Low Energy
- Storage: microSD
- GPIO: 40-pin header, populated
- Video: HDMI – VideoCore IV 3D
- Audio: 3.5mm analogue audio-video jack,
- USB: 4× USB 2.0
- Other Ports: Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)
- Power: 2.5 Amps
- Operating system support – Linux and Unix or Windows 10 IoT
As you can see the Pi 3 still doesn’t have SATA, USB3 and gigabit ethernet but the pricing still remains at $35 and does come with wifi, ethernet and a 64 bit quad core cpu. This little unit is fully supported by linux and mostly by FreeBSD and other Unix-like systems too. While this unit may not replace your desktop computer it defiantly is a great little performer for other uses. I hear the RPi3 has an awesome community to gain support from as well.
The biggest update is the 64 bit Quad Core Broadcom BCM2837 CPU and the addition of a BCM43143 wifi chip built in means no more wifi adapters. You can use Linux, Unix-life system such as FreeBSD, Centos, Ubuntu and even Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi 3.
The price of the Pi 3 is listed at:
- $35 USD
- £30.00 (UK)
- INR 3000 (India)
So what are you waiting for? Go buy yours today!