Today is July 29th and is the day when Microsoft has released Windows 10 updates. The updates will be a rolling update meaning not everybody will get the update right away but I have found a way to force these updates if you don’t want to wait.
*Edit* Found a faster and better way to upgrade than using the steps below. All you simply have to do is visit THIS LINK and download the installer which allows you to install windows 10 on the fly or burn a ISO image for fresh install.
Follow the steps below to start upgrading now and skip the wait.
- First, navigate to “C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload” (you may need to replace C: with a different drive letter if you installed Windows elsewhere) and delete all the files there. This will give Windows Update a clean slate.
- Open Windows Update by hitting the Windows key, typing “Windows Update” and clicking on it.
- Open up the command prompt by hitting the Windows key and typing in cmd. Don’t hit enter. Right click and choose “Run as administrator.”
- Type (but do not enter yet) “wuauclt.exe /updatenow” — this is the command to force Windows Update to check for updates.
- Back in the Windows Update window, click “Check for updates” on the left hand side. It should say “Checking for updates…”
- While this is happening, switch back to the command prompt and enter the command you already typed in.
- You should now see Windows Update say that it is downloading Windows 10. Before you actually install it though, back everything up and make sure you’re ready.
If you get error 80240020 like I did while during the windows 10 download and install process then simply repeat the steps above and try again..
Enjoy Windows 10 kiddos.